Friday, January 2, 2009

It's Friday

And I'm nosy...

So here's the question: Do you pick a "word for the year" to live by each year?

I never have done this in year's past but I feel that it's something I definitely want to do this year. I need to do this to hold myself accountable.

I've alluded to the fact that this year has been the pits. And.I.Mean.The.Pits. This year those closest to me must have felt like it was their duty to hurt me...and hurt me they did. I remember years ago my mother-in-law telling me that those you love the most hurt you the most because they know you're not going anywhere. Well, my family's lucky because there were times this year that I felt like running in the opposite direction.

F O R G I V E N E S S

That's my word for the new year. I will forgive and move on. I think I'll even get a necklace with my word on it and wear it each day as a reminder. I don't know about you but forgiveness can be so hard for me at times.

When I haven't felt like forgiving, I've tried to remind myself about how Jesus forgives me over and over again...even though I don't deserve any of his forgiveness. How can I not forgive someone else when I'm being forgiven daily. This seems to just put it all into perspective for me.

24 comments:

Mari said...

I haven't heard of choosing a word for the year but it's a good idea and you chose a great word. I'll have to think on that!

michelle said...

I hope that 2009 is your best year yet! :) Forgiveness is somthing that is always a work in progress for me, too. It seems like I will go 4 steps forward then 3 steps back. Great choice for the new year!

Nadine said...

I haven't done that before, but if you are going to choose a word, forgiveness is a really good.

If I choose a word, HOPE, would be the one I would choose for this year.

Cheri said...

Linda,

Did we have the same year? I am hoping that 2009 will be great for both you and me and your word, "forgiveness" couldn't have been a better word to pick and I would have to say if I was going to pick a word, that would be it.

You can always check my profile and email me if you need to vent, I mean it,but we are both going to be positive, right?

Cheri

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

This is a good idea. Forgiveness should be one of my top ones, along with thankfulness!

Anonymous said...

That is an excellent word! My year stunk, too, and last night (even though it's the NEW year) was incredibly horrible.

My word, since my divorce was final in August, is PEACE.

stalkermom said...

Great word and hopefully we can all follow your lead.

dani said...

dear linda,
i have chosed the word, "renew" this year. it is the first time ever that i have done so; but i really felt the need. i'm thinking it will have been a good idea in the long run... as it will be a daily reminder of my goal.
good luck with yours; forgiveness is a hard one... maybe the hardest; but with God's help you can do it:)
love,
dani

Bren's Life said...

I never thought of choosing a word until seeing SPT. But I just chose a word that was my favorite. Believe. This year I think I will chose a word that is different & talks to me. I'm still thinking though about it.

I love your word, because like you said it's hard. It's so true those you love the most can hurt you the most. And it can be so hard to let go of the hurt.
I see you as such a forgiving person. You are so generous & kind & loving.

Lene said...

My word of the year is 'Live'. And I am going to live like I mean it this year.

Forgive was a word I used a couple of years ago. I found this quote that helped me immensely: "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong" - Gandhi

I hope 2009 is a wonderful year for you....you deserve it!

Brenda said...

Last year was my year of forgiveness, and of course, always will be! For this year, I think Grace. I've really been studying about how powerful the Lord's grace is and how I can live in it.
"His grace is sufficient".
So, that'll be my word!
Thanks for sparking that idea.

Jan said...

I like this idea Linda! I like the forgiveness one...and Hope is a great one too. I'll have to think on it and get back to you!

valerie said...

I've never done this before either, but my word is "Believe."

I know with God all things are possible. I know that...but do I really believe? I'm going to work on that! I have some things I'm believing Him for in 2009.

Forgiveness is hard anytime, but really hard when someone you love dearly, like family members or close friends hurt you. I'll certainly keep you in my prayers. You can do it...through Christ who will strengthen you! (Phil. 4:13)

Lisa Loo said...

You go girl!! I remember the first time it dawned on me that I ask things daily of my Heavenly Father and frankly--expect them to happen!! And how I need to turn around and do the same to others---real wake up time! Parenthood has had a similar effect!

kitchenditcher said...

Many years ago, our family was faced with having to do some MAJOR forgiving towards a new in law. Let me tell you, it WAS HARD! But in the end, we were more blessed than the offender. Not forgiving eats us up inside and consumes us. What a lesson we learned. So I love your word and will think about it often!

Big Hugs to you for a wonderful 2009!

Leigh Anne Wilkes said...

My word for 2009 is Joy - and focusing on finding more Joy in My Journey!

Nonnas News said...

Ive never thought about choosing a word each year,but what a good idea and the word you chose is a good one! Your so right, its hard to forgive sometimes but we must have a forgiving heart because Jesus forgives us.
Happy New Year!

Mandi said...

I have heard about a word of the year through Kristie's blog, most of her blogging friends do it. I would have to have a million, it would be too hard to pick just one.

Yours sounds wonderful, there are so many uses for it!!!

Take care my dear friend, and if you ever want to run - catch a Qantas flight out of LAX to Melbourne, I will be there to pick you up!!! xxx

Daphine said...

What a great idea! Forgiveness is probably one of the hardest things for all of us to do, but like you said...we are forgiven over and over and over. When we're reminded of that...it makes it so much easier to just do it. Or atleast it does for me. Love this idea and might just snatch up a word for me to live by too in this new year!

Have a great weekend!

Kitty Scraps said...

Good Morning Miz Linda,
Yes, I've heard of choosing a word for the year and have had some great words! But I had forgotten to do it last year which probably explains why parts of my year were so sucky. I'm going to have to think about my word for 2009, thank you for reminding me!

I've not had much luck this year with forgiveness either so I've had to turn it over to God's hands. You're in my prayers, I know how tough it can be.

Kim Sue said...

I'm still thinking. I haven't made up my mind yet. Last year I chose "know" and then put it on my sidebar of my blog and it reminds me of several areas of my life that I continue to work on!

TUTU Monkey said...

I have not heard of choosing a word but I think it is a good idea.....I might have to borrow yours.....hmmmmwill keep thinking.


Happy New Year

Rhonda said...

Been thinking about a word too... forgiveness is so awesome. I need to decide too. I did choose a word to "stop" using last year... haha.

I need ideas. Have any?

TUTU Monkey said...

I found my word....I hope you don't mind I borrowed your idea....

Hope you are having a good week and feeling better.