Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday Miscellany

It was wonderful seeing my friend Deanna yesterday. We met at Mimi's Cafe and stayed quite awhile. We had alot of catching up to do! I learned one thing though...don't bring your husband with you when you meet up with girlfriends! Granted, he's known Deanna for 30 years too but still. Let me just say he dominated the conversation! I don't know if it's because he's retired now or what but he talked, and talked, and talked. Usually it doesn't bother me but yesterday it got on my last nerve. Trust me, he's staying home next time!

This is a picture of my sweet friend Deanna and I yesterday at Mimi's. I sure wish I knew how to scan pictures so I could post them here. I'd show you one of us in high school, or a picture of us when we went to Hawaii together when we were 19! Like I mentioned earlier, we share alot of life history together. Sooo, does anyone want to give me some e-a-s-y instructions on the art of scanning!?


I'm on Day 4 of my Special K diet and all is well. I changed it up a bit this morning though. I had a South Beach diet breakfast bar for breakfast instead of cereal. Really the breakfast bar is like cereal anyways. It's like eating a rice crispy bar but without the marshmallows. I'll have cereal for lunch and then a sensible dinner. I haven't noticed much difference on the scale but I'm giving it time. I'm not snacking, haven't had the usual Pepsi, and am not eating any of the Halloween candy that's floating around. I made cupcakes for my coworkers on Friday and Saturday and didn't even eat one and from the remarks I got, they were absolutely delicious. So come to think of it, I'm doing really really good so far.

Today will be spent studying for me. As a nurse, I have to earn continuing education units, 30 units every 2 years. I have to get my test in the mail by Friday, preferably sooner, so I'll be holed up in the house today. It's a priority at this point!

During study breaks, I'll be getting my little Halloween goodie bags ready for work. I work with the most amazing people and I like to show them my appreciation every now and then. Dialysis technicians are extremely hard working people yet the pay isn't so hot. Good techs make my job easier and luckily I work with alot of experienced, knowledgeable techs. I like to show them that I appreciate their efforts and they are always so thankful and appreciative of anything that is done for them. I think it's the little things that count.

I hope you have a great day today. This week will be lots of fun, yay for Halloween week!

19 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Hi LInda~~

I loved reading about you meeting up with Deanna and I want to say that my husband is the same way as yours. He joins in conversations with all my friends and sometimes I can get up and leave the room for 10 minutes and no one knows I am gone!!! Weirdo...

I commend you on the no snacking on the candy business. That's the hardest part for me. I can eat what I am supposed to eat, but when that good stuff is within my reach, it's all over. I am looking at your picture and wondering WHY you are on a diet. Seriously!!

What a sweetie you are to make the candy bags for your co~workers, and I don't blame you one bit. When I was in the hospital last year, it was so heartwarming to get close to the x`ray people, blood people and particular nurses. They are the nicest people in the world. The camaraderie beween them was fantastic. You are going to do great on your test!!

Have a happy week, Linda!

xoxo
Janie

Joyce said...

yesterday my sister and I were on the phone catching up and I'd gone in the other room because my husband was watching football...next thing I know he's in the room with me trying to get in on my phone conversation...I guess they need to talk too : ) How fun to have a friend from childhood still in your life...that is special!

Mari said...

I guess I'm lucky. In Michigan we need to do 25 continuing education hours. The gift bags are a good idea. I should do that too, because our aides are wonderful!

CB said...

That is too funny that your husband dominated the conversation. My husband would be the opposite. I wouldn't bring him just because it is "girl time" ha ha.
Glad you had such a fun visit though.
If you don't figure out the scanner you can always take a picture of a picture.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Linda

Thanks for visiting my blog today and leaving a nice comment.

I'm a retired RN and I don't miss the CE classes at all...lol

It sounds like you are disciplined about staying on a diet...good for you! i lost a lot on South Beach before my son's wedding but I sadly gained it all back since. I walk a lot, but I know I need to get more exercise.

I'm looking forward to Halloween! We get hundreds of trick or treaters!

Please drop by again!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

PS I know how to scan a photo...turn on your printer/scanner, open the software by clicking on your "START" button and look for your computer name and click on that. Then look for "scan preview" and place your photo on the screen and click "preview" -- it will scan the photo, and if you like how the image looks you can click on "scan" and let it scan, then click "save" under FILE in your toolbar and save it and send it to your photos -- name it to make it easier to find later, or put it in a photo folder. Then you can download to blogger. Cleas as mud ...but I hope that helps you a little.

Rose of Sharon said...

Love the picture of you two! What pretty ladies you are. I will tell you how I cheat and I get pictures of pictures without scanning! I simply just take a picture of the pictures! It works great. You have to have really good light and put your camera on macro setting or be able to zoom in pretty close. Move the picture around a little bit and find the spot that has the least amount of glare from the light. It works really, really well! Then you just download them like you do with all your photos.

I hope you have a great day!

:0) Sharon

Donna Lynn said...

I found it so funny that your husband does that, mine hardly speaks, I think he believes I am a mind reader! I have often sat in the car on long trips and watched the time roll past, to see how long it will be before he talks, one time it was 2 hrs...count it a real blessing he is a great talker!

Hope you get all your hours completed! Sounds like you have an ideal work situation, what a wonderful thing to enjoy what you do and who you work with.

Tanna said...

Hi, Linda. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving wonderful encouragement! Lord knows, I need it! LOL! Sounds like you are doing a good job of sticking with your plan AND making candy bags for others! I'm impressed.

I love your description of your husband's monopolizing the conversation with your friend!! That is a hoot!

As for CEUs, I'm a retired nurse myself... know about the 30 hrs. every year... dummy me, I retired from nursing, got my real estate license (interested in buying historic multi-family properties) and now, I'm back doing CEUs. Just finished mine up last week! Seems like I could have been savvy enough to find another interest without the CEU, license, fingerprinting. LOL.

Once again, thanks for your visit! Hang in there with your eating plan!

Emma said...

You are such a pretty lady!! good job on the diet, and not even cheating, way to go!!!!

I agree leave the husband home next time, leave the girlfriend time to yourself!!

Nadine said...

I don't use a scanner so I'm not sure how it works. I'm sorry.

I do like the picture you posted of you and your friend. Funny that your hubby talked so much during your visit. It was funny how you described it.

I hope your test gets done quickly so you can get in the mail way before Friday.

Have a pleasant week.

j said...

If you managed to avoid cupcakes you are doing really REALLY well!

Best of luck with your studying.

Tanna said...

Linda, I just "tagged" you from my blog. Look forward to hearing your answers and seeing who you tag! Happy tagging!

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Linda,
It's so nice to meet you! I really appreciate your kind visit to my blog. You are always welcome my friend.

You asked me for tips so I can tell you what we are doing and hope it helps. We have been eating a lot healthier the past few months and I feel terrific! No sugar, salt or caffeine for me.
We have increased our fruits and veggies and drinks lots of water and decaf iced tea. We use our GF grill to cook very lean steaks and chicken for dinner. I make sure to eat a healthy breakfast of scrambled eggs and a small bowl of Total also a side of fruit like sliced strawberries. If I skip a meal it's just too hard to stay on track. I've lost 19 pounds so far and want to lose 24 more. I'm very grateful it's working for me!

I also walk for excercise and use our Bowflex weight machine. My hubby is a Marine and runs and lifts weights at work as well. He's really been a good support for me and is eating the same foods even though he isn't trying to lose weight. It helps me!

Good Luck To You! It sounds like you are doing well.
Come by anytime okay. We can support each others efforts.

~Many Blessings, ~Melissa :)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for our vacation next year because our dhs can talk and talk and talk while we talk and talk and talk! Happy studying. You are just so sweet about thinking of others. It is a precious gift that not everyone gives, but you do--a gift from your heart. XOXO

jenn said...

you are such a goood co worker...cupcakes... goodie bags! makes me want to come to cali and get a job with you!
great job on eating healthier...
and just FYI, us here in MO dont have to do CEU! yipee! good luck with yours!

Connie said...

I am so impressed! You have lots of will power!
It made me laugh as you talked about meeting up with your friend. My husband would be the opposite, he'd want to go as soon as the meal was over with. That's why I don't take him along when I meet up with friends.
Have a great Halloween!

Jamie said...

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to come over & visit. Thank you for visiting my blog & for you nice comments about my bathroom makeover. Very sweet!

Daphine said...

Glad you were able to spend some time with your friend! Sorry... I was laughing out loud about your hubby taking over the conversation though. I can so totally seeing my sweet hubby doing the same thing.