I wasn't supposed to work today but volunteered since they were going to be short staffed (as usual!) Already, first thing this morning we were scrambling because one technician called in sick and one just didn't show up. We kept trying to reach Nancie, the one who didn't show up, but she never answered our calls.
When I say we were short staffed, trust me, we were short staffed! We were so busy the day seemed to fly by and by break time at 2:30 pm, still no one had heard from Nancie. Not showing up for work isn't like Nancie so we were worried plenty by this time. One tech (Gina) decided to go to Nancie's house on break but came back because she couldn't locate the exact house. Two others (Alisa and Lori) said they knew where Nancie lived and off they went. Nancie's car was in the driveway when they got there but everything was locked up tight in the house and they couldn't see in. They called us at work and by that time we had located Nancie's mom's phone number and address. They went directly to Nancie's mom's house which was just around the corner and as soon as they told Nancie's mom that she hadn't shown up for work, she started to panic and knew in her heart it was bad. Nancie is diabetic and had been having trouble keeping her blood sugar under control. There was good reason to panic.
Nancie's mom, brother, Alisa, and Lori entered the house and while Nancie's mom was turning off the house alarm, the others headed to Nancie's bedroom. It was terrible. Apparently, Nancie's blood sugar fell dangerously low during the night and she didn't recover. She was 28 years old!
We are a tight knit group and let me just say the place fell apart when we officially got the news, especially for Nancie's two best friends who were working and had been worried all day. Lots of crying, LOTS OF CRYING, and just plain shock and disbelief. She was just 28 years old!
Whenever I think of Nancie, I'll smile and picture her as Frankenstein this past Halloween! She was the best Frankenstein ever!

Rest in peace Nancie! Gone, but never forgotten!






26 comments:
So sad! I hate diabetes. You know my daughter has it, and I must admit that I worry about this kind of thing happening.
I'll be praying for her family.
Linda this just scares me. We are a family of diabetics, me, my mom, my grandmother, and my 2 brothers who are type I. My younger brother almost died twice from having his blood glucose levels drop too low. He crashed his car into a concrete divider on the highway on the way home from work and when they found him unconscious his blood glucose was 10!!!! I will pray for Nancie's family. What a tragedy.
So sorry to hear this aout your friend/coworker. I will keep her family and friends in my prayers.
I am so sorry. Just so sorry.
How tragic! It's just scary how a moment can change life forever--either a wreck, an accident, an incident in our health status. I'm always concerned and afraid, but I guess that's not a good way to live. May you and her other friends and her family find peace and comfort some how.
Oh Linda that is just so sad. Close coworkers are truly family members and it must hurt so bad...28 years old. Her poor mother. Will keep you all in our prayers.
i read your post on fb and came immediately here...i am so sorry to hear about your friend and coworker, nancie...you are right, you never know when God will call you home. i am thinking of you, your coworkers, and nancies family. she is beautiful and looks like a lot of fun too!!
prayers for you all and nancie's family as well, linda. i'm so sorry for your loss...
much love and hugs,
dani xxx
oh no....very scary. I'm so sorry and prayers for all of you and Nancie's family
That's a real tragedy - only 28 years old! I'm sure family and friends will draw close. May God give His Comfort. Linda
Oh my gosh!
this is horrible- my heart goes out to you & all of nancie's friends & family.
xoxo
Oh Linda...that is just too sad. Life..it sure can be a hard one for people sometimes. I hope things will get better there.
Thanks for your visit...and yes..this big family has been a little like camp..but it was a good one.When we would go on vacation, it looked like we were moving! LOL :D
Some things make no sense! I am so sorry. That's way too young to go. May her family and friends find comfort in each other.
How very sad for her family and y'all, her friends, we never know when God will call us home. Our days are numbered and only he knows the count. She looks like such a sweet beautiful young lady.
My prayers are with her family and friends.
Molly
I am so sorry, Linda, to hear about your friend and co-worker, how awful for her family and all of you gals.
so sorry to hear this, prayers for her, her family, and you her freinds!
Oh my, that had to be terrible for her mom and brother to see (and friends). What a shock for all of you.
She was a beautiful girl. Love the Frankenstein get-up...sounds like she had a great sense of humor!
Such a sad loss and so young.
So sorry to hear this aout your friend
indian classified site
What a terrible thing to happen to such a young girl...My mother had diabetes later in life but I never knew this type of thing could happen....very sad.
So sorry for the loss of your co worker. How sad for one so young.
I'm sorry too Linda!
28 is just too young.
My prayers are with you all and
especially with Nancie's family.
I'm so, so, sorry to hear this. A couple of years ago, a doc I had worked for passed in his sleep (age 45) and like Nancie - just didn't come to work, so he was found by his coworkers at home. Breaks my heart.....good thoughts coming your way
Hi Linda,
As you know from a post I just did, I also lost my childhood best friend from Diabetes, she was just 34. I am soooo sorry for your loss and it is a terrible situation you and your co workers found your self in that day.
Her poor Mother having to go in and find her lovely daughter had gone to heaven while she slept through the night.May you always have her sweet memories with you and remember all the good and fun times
hugs,
jamie
You're never quite prepared for someone so young to pass. My sister passed away when she was just 28 too.It is a terrible shock. My heart goes out to you and Nancie's family!
Linda, I am so sorry about your friend. i think I commented on FB on one of your posts, but if i didn't know that I am truly sorry for you and all of Nacy's other friends.
After my friend Jan's death, I was in a fog for a couple of weeks. I went to work and took care of Carly but it took a couple of weeks for me to feels like that fog cleared. I haven't read many blog posts and am just now working my way through all the unread posts on my blog reader - 600+.
Post a Comment