Thursday, April 10, 2008

Let's Try This Again...

We were empty nesters...once...for about 2 months.

Handsome son had already been living in Hawaii for 2 years when we took little sis to Arizona for college this last August. I'm not lying when I say I cried the whole drive home from AZ to CA. I had a broken heart. My life had revolved around these two ~ the loves of my life ~ and now I felt strangely without purpose...and really didn't have a choice in the matter. I was amazed, and saddened, at how fast the time had gone by since they were little. It had gone by REALLY REALLY fast!

It took weeks but I began learning to adjust to my new life...and then we got the call. Handsome son wanted to move back home...again.

Handsome son moved back early November and has been home since. Truth be told, I was a little worried about living with him again. I remember his late teen years and cringe...but it's been wonderful. I hadn't realized just how much I had missed his physical presence. I have loved looking at his gorgeous face everyday and have loved getting to see and know him as a young man. He makes me proud.

He announced a few days before our recent roadtrip that he was moving out again. So more tears...but I'm happy for him. He's 22 and not wanting to live with Mom and Dad forever...and in my heart of hearts I know I don't want to live with my kids forever either. So, here we are empty nesters again. Liking it and not liking it all at the same time. I wish my handsome son luck in his new home (although this one will always be his true home!)

Oh, did I mention, we pick up little sis for summer break May 9th. She will be home for a good part of the summer. Empty nesters, huh!


A cute picture of handsome son and beautiful little sis in Hawaii a few years back.

11 comments:

Doodle Bugs said...

Yep! They are beautiful!

Misty said...

You have BEAUTIFUL kids.... wow.

Jan said...

We really are going thru the same feelings. I am so glad that I am not alone in feeling good and not good. Its just wierd. I appreciated this post. I know that it does lessen with time though. My 22 yr. old is in AZ now for 1 1/2 yrs. and it gets better as time goes on. But, it still is such a confusing time as well. I still have a daughter at home. She is 10 yrs younger than the boys. So I have someone still to take care of. But she misses them too. I'll be thinking about my new soul mate and know how someone else is feeling. take care empty nest girl.

Jan said...

Oh. And your kids are beautiful.

Mandi said...

Hi Linda

Thanks for your message on my blog. I completely understand where you are with this. My eldest turns 18 early next year and I cannot begin to think about her not being at home with me. I honestly dont think she will be leaving any time soon, but I dont know where she will go to University so she may very well have to live on campus. I get sad just thinking about it now, shes my baby girl, how can I not have her presence around, the endless time she spends in the bathroom with the rest of us banging on the door to get in, her singing as she walks through the house, the music coming from her room, the conversations we have late at night when shes sitting in the kitchen deciding if she is really hungry. The hours of conversations I have with her and her friends when they come home from a party and we all talk and cook because they are starving - I could go on and on and on - fortunately for me I have two younger ones so I wont have an empty nest terribly soon, but know that I am thinking of you and completely understand.

Michelle said...

Hi Linda ~ Your kids sure are beautiful! Thanks for coming by to visit my blog and leaving the nice comment...please come back anytime!

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have about bariatric surgery. I check e-mail every day :)

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

~Michelle (Treasure the Moment blog)

Kim Sue said...

Ditto - 2 beautiful kids!

michelle said...

First of all I have to tell you...your kids are darling!!! You have a lot to be proud of. :) I have had so many mixed emotions with my kids getting older too. My oldst who is going to be 22 next month, isn't living at home anymore. I literally thought I had a broken heart when he moved out. I didn't tell him this until later. I know it was so hard for him to leave home too. I am thinking these are some growing pains of being a Mama! :)

Natasha said...

Linda, your kids could be models!

I already get sad thinking about Luci and Griffin growing up!

Jill said...

They're definitely very pretty children!

Bren's Life said...

What a great mom you must be.. I don't look forward to the day my kids are old enough to move out & on their own..
But that is great you let them experience life...