Anyways, I was in the spare bedroom packaging up some good mail, getting my Favorite Swap gift ready, and just doing busy stuff when he asked me to go in the pool with him.
"No" was all I said...and I said it rather quickly. Immediately I regretted it when I saw the look on his face.
I've done alot of reading on blogs about picking out a word for the year. I've never done this but way back in February I decided I'd pick "DO" for my word. My goal in picking this word was to actively "DO" more in life and just to be more in the moment.
I'm actively doing more and being more in the moment now aren't I!!
"Wait handsome son...just let me put on my bathing suit" (this is the reason why I didn't hesitate to say no in the first place...I hate swimsuits...especially me in them!)
Handsome son and I spent about 30 minutes lounging in the pool. I took the brush and scrubbed down the sides of the pool and we just talked and talked. We talked about school, jobs, 4th of July, and just whatever came to mind.
Today is Sunday and I'm thankful that God opened my eyes at that moment and urged me to "Do" more today. I ALMOST MISSED OUT ON THAT SPECIAL ONE ON ONE TIME WITH MY PRECIOUS SON...WHO ONLY WANTED TO SPEND TIME WITH HIS MOM. It makes me wonder how many other times I've missed out on valuable time with my children (no matter how old they are).
When will I ever learn?






30 comments:
Congrats on DOing and knowing. God really just taps us on the shoulder sometimes, doesn't He?
Beautiful thoughts. I have also been much more aware of how precious every moment in life is. Not sure if it comes with age or with the loss of loved ones or the changes and separations that life brings. I just know that I cherish every moment with those I love and try to make as much time as possible to enjoy it.
I love that you guys hung out together. I have a 7 year old, and I hope to still have that with him when he is older. Good job!
linda,
don't look back... only FORWARD to DOing more:) i love that you made a memory today with your handsome son. such a blessing:D
love,
dani
It always takes some lessons to see whats really important huh. I would say that your son is so lucky to have you. I pictured the whole thing in my head of you two in the pool, and I think it is the sweetest thing ever.
Thanks for the reminder and have a great week.
Such a special moment, and great that you did 'do'!!!!
As for the whole bathing suit thing - from all the pictures I have seen you look great!!! So go get em!!!!!!
Have a great week Linda!!!!
Linda, This touched my heart. You are so right. I have missed countless moments. Yesterday I said, "Yes", when my son asked me to get into the freezing muddy creek. I'm so glad I did it. God is so good to help us "DO" more of the right things.
Also, congratulations on being the SITS roll call winner. Yay for you.
Kathi
What an inspiring post! As I sit here watching the sun beginning to come up, I am now thinking DO! DO! DO! and am ready to seize the day!
In the "busyness" of our lives, it's sometimes difficult to just stop and DO, especially when we think we are DOing!! What a beautiful thought. As always, you inspire me.
Congrats on being the SITS Roll Call winner!
What a great post! It hit me because I am far to quick to say no. I'm going to work on "doing" more and less automatic no's!
I struggle with this a lot and it is generally when I think there is too much "stuff" to do - laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, etc. Good for you for going for it!
Great post - a reminder that we need to stop and savor life and time with our children. I definitely needed to read your post.
Nice reminder! :o)
Oh Linda that was a great post and a reminder to all of us to get over it and just do stuff! I could totally picture myself in the same situation responding exactly the same way. Good for you for instantly having a change of heart!
Hi, Linda, thank you for stopping by. That's a sweet post about spending time with your son. I think we get so busy sometimes we let that time slip away. You were so wise to stop & jump in that pool!
Rhoda
How swwet of him to ask you.. What a great son you have. Your such a good mom to of caught yourself before he even walked out..
You are just truly wonderful in every way..
I love what you did with your son and you will never regret offer your time to him. So many sons would never have even asked their mom to swim. This makes my day. He's a handsome young guy too!
Blessings,
Nancy
awww that is so swett! I'm sure we have all been quilty of doing the same thing! That will make me be more aware now! Thanks for posting about that!
It's always great to be reminded to stop and smell the roses.
I'm glad you had one of those moments and you thought to write it down.
How wonderful that you decided to "DO", and get in the pool! What a great memory you will have now. Lovely story.
Hugs,
Donna
Hi Linda,
I sent you an email but I want to make sure you know, you won my Home to Holly Hills giveaway.
Congratulations, and I need you to send me your mailing address.
Barb
A Chelsea Morning
Thanks for the reminder Linda, I too do this "no" thing much to quickly! I need to spend time with my youngest, because before I know it, he will be gone...
Bless you this week, email me if you have time and will talk about WA!!
Give Jake a kiss on his head for me!
XO,
DL
And yet this is one of the most hard lessons to learn.
We all have good things to do, it's realizing which one is the BETTER one to do....
It's good to pick up the house... it's more good to love my kids, their messes, and play with them. Every day.
God does talk to us and gets our attention in different ways. I know I have to stay in tune with my 22 year old son. Sometimes right in the middle of a program he wants to talk. Darn ! But I have to stop, because I'll never have that chance again. Remember we only have that moment once in our lifetime. It is never repeated.
I have a really good thing on my blog from Erma Bombeck, stop over sometime a read it. It's in the older posts.
Ciao
Glenda
Hey sweetie! I left you an award...please go over and visit my blog and claim it!
So sweet! It is strange emptying the nest. I'm happy for the kids and sad for me. Thanks for your comment.
We have all been guilty of letting precious moments slip by because we think we are too busy to stop and enjoy are kids. Glad you were about to spend some quality time with your son.
Thanks so much for stopping by. I always enjoy meeting new blogger, especially another Linda. Please come back soon.
How true, how true. I cant tell you how many times I've said 'no' to getting in our pool, and its all about the suit and the clean-up afterward, plus, I dont like to swim, and I like even less being slightly cold!! burrrrr...pools are cold.
There is a fine art to saying yes, and letting things 'go' and letting everything go into disrepair. Thanks for the reminder!! I think it may be easier the older we get??!!
That is so awesome! I do the same thing. I initially might say no and then I think, take advantage of this moment and spend time with my kids. It is always so worth it!!!
I'm happy for you!
:0) Sharon
This is a hard thing because kids tend to ask for stuff like this while we're in the middle of doing something else. It makes it hard to automatically say "yes." I have to make a conscious effort to do that, but it's hard every time.
Post a Comment