Friday, October 22, 2010

It's Friday


And I'm nosy...

So here's the question: When you were growing up, did you 1) walk to school; 2) take the bus to school; or 3) did your parents bring you to school?

Would you believe I never ever took a bus to school. I only got to experience bus riding on field trips (and actually most of the field trips I've ever been on were ones where I was a parent volunteer with my kids).

Most of my school days were spent walking to and from, except in my early high school years before I had my driver's license. We lived a distance from my high school so my Dad dropped me off in the morning or I rode with my friend and her sister who drove us to school. My mom would then pick us up after school.

When I got my driver's permit, almost everyday I'd ask my Mom if I could drive home from school. Most of the time she'd say no but when she did say yes, she'd practically sit on my lap the whole way home. We had one long front seat and she'd sit close to me with her arm around my shoulder. She hated having to teach me to drive and was a nervous wreck! Funny thing is, I felt the same way when it was my turn as a parent!

14 comments:

Loretta said...

Hi Linda,
From 1st grade to 6th I walked with my brother and sister, then from 7th to 9th tok a bus (hated it) then I met my sweetie 3 days into 10th grade and never took a bus again. My mom never drove so Ray taught me how to drive.
I followed Macy's recovery on her blog and was so happy when the last post was made. She looks wonderful. There were so many people praying for her including us. I am so thankful our prayers were answered. May God bless her each and every day. She is a walking miracle! Hugs, Loretta

CB said...

I did all 3 actually - Mostly because we moved around so much so I had many different school situations.

My 15 year old just got his permit this past Tuesday and so far he has driven to school 3x this week including this morning - ha ha!

Mari said...

I rode the bus until I was in 10th grade and had a job after school. It was wonderful to be able to drive!

just call me jo said...

I rode the bus the whole 12 years. What a geek I must be! I rode for 1 hour each way until I was 14. I was first on and last off so I got the heater. Score! (In Idaho a heater is a big deal, I remind you.) We were poor so I never had a car in high school. One of my friends did and I think she took us some of the time. Hard to remember that l-o-n-g ago. ;o)

Joyce said...

In elementary school we walked. 7 blocks. We loved it. There was a whole big group and we'd pick up more enroute. We also walked home and back at lunch. We had a full hour. Almost everyone walked. There was one group of kids known as 'the bus students' and they had to stay for lunch in the cafeteria. They brought their lunch and could buy milk. Every once in a while you could get permission to stay if your mom had something and wouldn't be home. Usually though my mom and our across the street neighbor friends would just swap if that was the case.

It was so much fun. My mom still lives in the neighborhood and there are still a lot of walkers but mostly the moms walk with them now. And no one comes home for lunch.

I didn't ride a bus til Jr. High (7th grade) unless it was a field trip day.

Blondie's Journal said...

I walked to grade school and junior high as it was close, but my high school was a few miles away and I rode a bus and later got rides. I always had the hardest time figuring out which bus to get on and I still have that problem with city buses and trains!! ;-D

XO,
Janie

April said...

When I attended elementary school, my mom drove me because there were no buses. When I entered junior high, I began to ride the bus up until I turned 15, then I started driving myself.

mCat said...

I had to walk. Every year. My senior year, I didn't live at home and had a car, but it was broken down more often than it worked so I still ended up walking.....

Lene said...

Bus, walked, driven by my brothers, drove myself...I have done it all.

My kids walk, ride the bus and I drive them.

Donna said...

I walked to school until I reached HS, then I rode the bus. I wasn't really in any hurry to get my license. Most of my friends drove, so I rode with them.

Janiece said...

rode the bus,
walked,
and drove.

wendy said...

Heck Linda, I walked to and from school, UP HILL in Knee high snow (tee,hee)....and in those days you weren't allowed to wear pants to school. Girls wore dresses/skirts/
brrrrrr

and I never got my drivers license until I was 21.

Cheri said...

I actually took a school bus until I got my driver's license and then i drove each day.

Connie said...

I always had to walk but then so did most of the kids in my neighborhood. Most of our families only had one car and their dad's took that to work. I did have a friend give me a ride in high school and then my dad bought my mom a real BARGAIN car for $250 that I was so embarrassed to drive that I still walked.

I also made my kids walk to school when we lived just a couple blocks away because the school was such a mess with all the mom's dropping off kids each day. Because of this, other mom's let their kids walk with mine and we had a nice group that walked together to and from school. My kids still remember this and remind me that the other mom's drove their children to school. Oh well! They are still alive today and healthy too!!

Connie