Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Is It Really Over!?!

I can't believe I'm actually saying this but I'm sad that Christmas is over. It was slow going at first but once I got into the Christmas groove, I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday season and hated seeing it come to an end. I've NEVER felt this way and truthfully I'm a little shocked at myself. I'm usually relieved (elated is more like it!) when it's all said and done.

I don't know why this year was so different, but it was, and I couldn't be happier about it. After all these years I've finally wised up and am learning to enjoy life and all that it has to offer. I have made a conscious effort over the last few years to slow down, calm down, enjoy more, participate more, listen more, give more, and to be all that I can be. I've spent way too many years being wound up too tight and it's exhausting! Life is so much more fun now!

One of the things that made me happy this Christmas was my little Santa tree that I put together. I decided last year that I wanted to put up a Christmas tree this year with just Santa ornaments on it. I already had some ornaments on hand but I started seriously collecting them throughout the year and then picked up a few recently. I was also able to find one of a kind Santa ornaments at thrift stores for next to nothing and ended up with quite a collection. I put the Santa tree in our bar area and every time I walked past this tree, it put a smile on my face...










What are some things that made you smile this holiday season?

20 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Since we decorated so late this year, I'm in no hurry to 'undecorate'! I'm just enjoying everything as it is. I love that you have found that inner peace, Linda. We all need to strive for that and then I think we are a little better with time as it goes by.

I love your Santa tree!! How great that you thrifted most of the little guys. I bought a little stick tree and decorated it with little vintage glass ornaments and that made me smile. Little things can do that!

XO,
Jane

Connie said...

I too am sad it's over! Your Santa tree is so cute!
I just loved having my family around for Christmas!
I hope you have a Happy New Year!

Cheri said...

How cute your Santa tree is and I read the post below on your restaurant decorations...how pretty and festive. I can't believe that Christmas is over either...just too short of time with my kids. We had a "white" Christmas here in GA later in the day and that was awesome.

You probably enjoyed the holidays this year because you are not working...that takes a lot of pressure off.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

CB said...

I am in love with your Santa tree!! It is Whimsical and so pretty.

I really got to enjoy Christmas in an unhurried way this year so I can say that I am ready to move on at this point. I loved everything about Christmas - family, eating, games, decor but I am ready to start a new year!

Mari said...

What a cute tree! I love the coat ornament.
I had a smile at Christmas because my son came home!

Nina Diane said...

I'm sad it's over too! it's just such a wonderful time of the year. Glad you enjoyed it so much this year! Love your Santa tree. I have a small tree in my kitchen that I do only in Santa's! Happy New Year Linda!!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That tree is absolutely darling!
I'm afraid I would never want to take it down.

Glad you had a great Christmas.
Hope you enjoy your New Year!

Janiece said...

This year it is pretty hard for me to want to take down my tree...I usually have Christmas packed away the day after Christmas...but this year...I do not want to take it down...and I have been thinking I may leave a few more of my nativities up...
I love your tree it is so cute!
MERRY CHRISTMAS my dear friend and may 2011 be a year of joy for you!

Valerie said...

I'm glad you had such a good Christmas. I love your tree!

tammy said...

I'm kind of sad it's over too. It came and went way too quickly. I loved getting up in the morning and having my tree lights on already (I set them on timers), and just the feelings that Christmas brings. I've learned to slow down, quit worrying as much and enjoying more too.

Love your Santa tree!

wendy said...

What a fun tree for sure.
My tree is full of rocking horses....I have been collecting them since 1985. Every single one is different. I try and find a new one for each year.

Christmas was hard for our family this year with the death of my son, but we survived and I was able to feel the spirit of what Christmas is all about and it gave me peace and joy.

Why is it that we have to get so much older....before we learn to slow down, enjoy the moment, relax and just BE.

Mimi said...

HI!!
I LOVE your Santa tree, I think some of the prettiest trees are the ones just in red!!!So yours is lovely!!!Love that idea too!!!!
SMILE....gosh so many things made me smile and or laugh!!!My scrapbook title for 2010 was LAUGH SMILE GRIN in 2010, so I made a book of smileSand laughs!!!But Miss C makes me smile, she still everyday says Let's turn on the tree lights Mimi and then she says Merry Christmas Mimi!!that makes me smile!!!
HAppy New year
hugs,
jamie

Bren's Life said...

I tried to leave a comment the other night, but if I don't log on to my blog, it won't let me sign on in the comment area if that makes sense???
Anywho- I am so glad you had a nice Christmas & I feel the same as you. It went to fast... I love your Santa tree. I hope you've gotten all the glitter out. You did a great job on the table decorations. How did the party go?
Thank you so very much for the Christmas gift. You are just so generous & sweet. Thank you!
Is Courtney still going to be here next semester? hope to see you!

Cynthia said...

What a gorgeous tree! No WONDER you were so happy. Who wouldn't be happy with all the smiling Santas about! LOL!

jenn said...

how cute. i love the santa in the canoe!....
and finley is one thing that made me smile!

dani said...

i am still sad it is over, linda... but, i am looking forward to what 2011 is going to bring (all GOOD i hope;)! may it be "all GOOD" for you and yours as well!!!
much love,
dani xxx

Andy said...

Happy Happy New Year!

Lene said...

So very cute.

My tree is still up...ugh. I am hoping life slows down soon so I can get it done.

mCat said...

I love all those Santa's! SO cute!

I hope your holidays were wonderful and THANK YOU for all your kindness extened to me and my familia! You are truly a great friend!

Unknown said...

Like you, I have a lot of Santa ornaments. I just can't pass them up and buy at least one each year!

Found you through the Monday blog hop. Come to visit sometime!

kelly
http://trippinat.blogspot.com